YT-1000 ramp

YT-1000 ramp

Monday 29 December 2014

Star Wars Episode 7 Speeder

As soon as I saw the teaser/trailer I thought building this model would be fun. 
First thing to do was get some screen shots, fortunately some of the views were direct side views which made it easy to get the models dimensions.

This is the model I made...

...using this image for reference...



...and this is how I made it.


I set my scale at 1/18 or the same as the 3 3/4" action figures. 

Some wood blocks were cut and lacquered to give a super smooth surface for vacuum forming. 
After that it was a matter of cutting and assembling. The model is 99% scratch built with only a few model kit parts.


These are the intakes at the front of the Speeder. Just used some tank wheels. You can't really see them unless you look right into the front grill.
I scribed the panel lines and added the rivets, which are made by drilling a small hole and placing a bead from a water filter. The hinges at the back are made from pieces of tank track. The grills are 3D printed.
The controls are from a model helicopter I think.










The engines were made by turning one on my lathe, then I made a mold and cast the other. Then I added the details. The hand controls are scratchbuilt from styrene rod. The seat was carved from a high density foam.
I airbrushed the model using a few reds and rust colours, then an oil wash to give it that grimy look.











Thanks for viewing.